Cedar Grove UMC
Sunday, July 15, 2018
Reaching Out, Growing Close, Changing Lives

 

Cedar Grove United Methodist Church is 125 years old and dates back to 1889. Sunday school classes were first taught in a one-room schoolhouse in Deale. In 1892, Rev. J.E. Zimmerman organized a church in the old schoolhouse with 40 members.

The original church building was erected in 1894 when Oakland Church constructed a new building and moved their old building by ox cart teams to Deale, where Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Deale had deeded a half acre in 1893 for the relocation of the church. In 1904, Cedar Grove and Oakland Churches were added to the Chesapeake Charge, which formerly consisted of Mt. Calvary, Emmanuel, Shilo, and Wesley Chapel Churches. At that time a new parsonage was built in Dunkirk.

In 1912, the previous sanctuary was constructed, and in 1922 a new parsonage was built in Friendship. On October 23, 1932, the first homecoming was held with Rev. J.J. Ringer presiding. In 1949, the Charge purchased 3 1/2 acres from the estate of Julius Phipps. On May 14, 1950, the present parsonage next to the church was dedicated. The brick veneer was placed over the wood church in 1952. In 1953, an education building adjoining the church was constructed. In 1959, Wesley Chapel and Mt. Calvary Churches separated from the Chesapeake Charge while Oakland and Cedar Grove paid off those churches share of the parsonage.

Cedar Grove officially incorporated its board of trustees on October 26, 1962. In 1971, another educational building was added and the older structure was remodeled. The improvements were financed largely by a legacy bequeathed to the church by Mr. S. Aubrey Simmons.
 
Cedar Grove Church continues to reach out to the surrounding community with the Good News that, in Jesus Christ, God has reconciled the world to Himself. Currently Cedar Grove is served by Rev. Glen Arnold, Pastor.  In addition, Cedar Grove supports five missionaries. Rev. Chase Wood is one of those five, serving as the full-time Chaplain at the Jennifer Road Detention Center in Annapolis, and actively working in Family Ministries at Cedar Grove Church.  The history of Cedar Grove continues to be written by the promises of God on the hearts of his people.